Rick Holt's Adventures in Vietnam
Letters Home from Vietnam, 1971

Return to my Vietnam page
Return to my Vietnam Letters page
Return to my Home page

Long Thanh North
June 11, 1971
6:30 pm

Dear Folks,

I'm on guard duty now and I didn't bring along my guide sheet so my lines may be a little crooked. Just finished listening to your tape. May even have enough power left in my batteries to listen to Arlo Guthrie for a while. Found that tape in the recorder when I went to put yours in. Looks like the wayward hook award wasn't so wayward after all. I think you have a pretty good chance of winning since he thought enough to print it. Just hope that between now and October everybody else forgets about the contest. Ya' can't lose if you don't have any competition. (Refers to a 'fish story' contest in the Baltimore Sun.)

It has been raining since about four o'clock. Just drizzling a little now. Had lunch and supper at the mess hall. No jogging today since I'm on guard. I'm sitting inside the hanger now to keep out of the rain. Plenty of light to read and write. I found a piece of Styrofoam to make this box a little more comfortable. We had been using an old U-21 VIP seat but the crew chiefs took it away and put it in one of the planes.

I've got a pretty good view of the runway here. It's amazing how some of those big planes can get off the ground. Just seems like they defy gravity.

I've got my radio with me but I imagine the batteries have about had it. I've let Seacord and Duff use it on guard too.

Had another critical job today. Took the air-conditioner in the CO's office and cleaned it and oiled it. We still have the one from his room in the shop all torn apart. I think he's going to have somebody rewind the motor.

Supposed to have guide-on practice at 8 tomorrow morning in Long Binh. Sure wish they'd find somebody else. I'm not going to feel much like getting up early after being on guard tonight.

I picked up the package with the boots today right after I put the air-conditioner in. It has been sitting up there for a couple days now. The mail clerk has special hours for picking up packages and I've always been busy during those times. He allots a half hour in the morning and a half hour in the evening for this extra service. I just happened to see him with the door open and told him to give me my package. Also got two letters, the tape and some magazines this evening.

That about wraps it up. Hope I remember to mail this letter.


(read the next letter home)